Brazilian Antony will not return to Manchester United for the time being after allegations of violence against women

© REUTERS

Brazilian footballer Antony was granted leave from his team Manchester United on Sunday to address allegations against him of violence against women.

The 23-year-old attacker was expelled from the Brazilian squad earlier this week after allegations of physical violence and threats from his ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin. Other women have also made accusations. Antony denies these charges and has now been given permission by Man United to stay away from the club for the time being to fully concentrate on his defense.

“Manchester United acknowledges the allegations against Antony,” the club said in an official statement. “Players who have not participated in international competitions must train again on Monday. However, it has been agreed with Antony that he will postpone his return until further notice to address the allegations.”

Manchester United recognizes the impact

“As a club we condemn violence and abuse. We recognize the importance of protecting everyone involved in this situation and we recognize the impact these allegations have on victims of abuse.”

© Action Images via Reuters

Antony himself says he will cooperate with the police to prove his innocence. “I would like to reiterate that I am innocent of the things I have been accused of and I will work with the police to help them find the truth. I look forward to playing again as soon as possible.”

Previous Post

Pierre-Antoine Gillet excels with double-double and takes third BXNT Super Cup with Ostend: “Deserved victory gives the whole team a lot of confidence”

Next Post

Hoogstraten loses honorably against Patro: “Yet the way remains sour”

Related Posts